The Old Style Siamese Club
Welcome to the website of the OSSC where we aim to perpetuate the look, style, size and vigour of this type of Siamese, mainly concentrating on the four basic colours - Seal, Blue, Chocolate and Lilac.
The Siamese reached a peak of popularity during the 1950s to 1970s and, apart from the addition of new colours, the standard of points remains virtually unchanged from that time. A good type Siamese, whether shown or not, should meet the Siamese Standard of Points. Breeders of the Old-style Siamese Club are specifically guarding against the over-typed look that has led to some serious health problems in the Modern Siamese in the USA.
We wish to bring breeders of all types of Siamese together to share their knowledge and experience and work together to establish a sound, healthy genepool. Siamese outcrossed to non-oriental breeds in order to obtain a cobbier look are NOT SIAMESE, and are neither recognised nor registered as Siamese by the GCCF or by the OSSC. Siamese with an Oriental Self (including Foreign White), Oriental Tortie or non-silver Oriental Tabby parent are registered as Siamese on the Supplementary Register and are eligible to be shown and bred from as Siamese. If you are not sure whether your kitten has this outcross in its pedigree, check the letters preceding the registration number. CS denotes pure Siamese, CSSR indicates an Oriental outcross.
The objects of the Club are:
- To provide a forum and meeting place for breeders and owners of the Old-Style Siamese.
- To aid breeders in understanding the type of ALL Siamese cats and how to recognize correct type.
- To offer support and advice to members regarding the breeding, history, pedigrees, care and general welfare of the Siamese cat.
- To offer practical and material support for the welfare of Siamese and companion cats where appropriate.
- To foster the best care and treatment of both pet and breeding cats, putting the welfare, health and contentment of the cat and the health of the breed above all other considerations.
- To promote good relations between, and respect for, breeders of all types of Siamese cats.
The Club supports breeders and pet owners by providing stud lists, breeder, and pedigree information, and by maintaining a busy kitten list and a newsletter for the exchange of views and news of the breed as a whole. The Club Archive contains an impressive collection of rare archive material which is open for private research, and is supplemented by a growing list of facsimile publications to make this material available worldwide. We have a very active Rescue network, and committee members take club tables to most major shows in the UK through the year. Our kitten and breeder list has already helped over 500 people to find the Siamese of the type they prefer.